Apple, Cinnamon and Quinoa Breakfast Bake - Gluten Free
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 apples, peeled, diced
1/4 cup raisins
2 cups soy milk (can substitute regular milk or almond milk). 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds ,1/3 cup walnuts, chopped, 1/3 cup almonds, chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 7-by-11-inch baking dish (an 8-by-8 works too).
- In a small bowl, mix the uncooked quinoa with the spices. Pour into greased dish.
- Sprinkle the apple and raisins on top of the quinoa.
- In that same small bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the soy milk and maple syrup.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top of the fruit and quinoa. Lightly stir to partially submerge the fruit. Sprinkle the chopped nuts and seeds on top.
- Bake for one hour or until the casserole is mostly set with only a small amount of liquid left. Don’t overcook.
- Allow to cool, and then cover and refrigerate. In the morning, cut a square, microwave it on a plate, and enjoy alone or with a few dollops of Greek yogurt and some mixed berries.
Adapted from a recipe in popsugar.com.au